Monday, April 17, 2017

Fracture & Cinema Arcane

I will have new collage, video and installation work in a solo show at The Front next month.

FRACTURE

Reception: May 13th, 6-10pm

Saturdays and Sundays 12-5pm
May 13th - June 4th, 2017
The Front, New Orleans, LA





Photo and video collages focused on the mystical nature of landscape with an element of the impact humans have on it. I find patterns within the scenery and emphasize it through structural manipulation of the imagery. I utilize geometric obstruction to interrupt the landscapes, creating a sense of the sublime in conflict with human-made order. I try to find the intersection of the imperceptible forces within nature and the human tendency to try to control it. I cut up, puncture, sew into and rearrange visual elements to create a new environment. Much of the source material was generated while visiting nature preserves around the world. I fear that the privilege of enjoying these uninterrupted landscapes is one that may not exist one day. In addition to the imagery I generate, I use found slides and photos in the collage. 




I am also hosting a film program that will run congruously to my show.

CINEMA ARCANE

A 48 minute program of short films on the themes of feminism, the environment and mysticism. Works by Stephanie Barber, Janie Geiser, Eve-Lauryn LaFountain, Selina Trepp, Angela Ellsworth, Shana Moulton, Saige Rowe, and Florencia & Maria Guerberof. 

To Be Old by Stephanie Barber

Cathode Garden by Janie Geiser

Cracks and Smacks by Selina Trepp

Kicking up Dust by Angela Ellsworth

Smudge Series by Eve-Lauryn LaFountain


Decorations of the mind II by Shana Moulton

three short physical movements followed by a general lull by Saige Rowe

UNHEIMLICH by Florencia and Maria Guerberof








No comments:

Post a Comment